You can see many more functions like Floor Function in Google Sheets but their function will not be the same. So it is better not to match the unique similar function with this function.
The syntax of the function of the others will be the same as the syntax of the Floor function. But you can’t be confused.
In this article, I will talk to you, about how to work the Floor Function in Google sheets.
When a number is rounded down to the lowest value multiplier closest to its factor, it is called a Floor Function.
Where the arguments:
value – When a number you want to round down to the closest integer multiple of that given factor, this is called is value.
factor – The value based on which you will round down is called the factor.
Example Floor Function in Google Sheets
This screenshot below gives you an idea of how it works.
You can see in the above example, that Columns A and B have given the value and factor respectively and column C gives the result.
I want to show you here as examples cells A6 and B6.
A6 has a value of 8 and a B6 factor of 5.
If you want to manually multiply factor 5.
5*1=5, 5*2=10, 5*3=15
The value of the factor of 5 must be equal to or less than 8, so the result will be 5.
Here this value will not be 10 or 15. Because this formula is round down not round up.
How to Use the Floor Function
You can follow the term below to use the floor function in your spreadsheet:
- First, you input data in your Google Sheet, then pick out the cell for which you want to get the result. As an example, I used cells A2 and B2. And Now you start with the “= “sign and type the Floor.
- Now you have to choose a value based on the value you want to round down then use a comma (,)
- Then pick out the value of a fact and close the bracket and press Enter on your keyboard. You can use the same formula in other cells.
FLOOR function Rules
- The value of the FLOOR function can be a positive number or a negative number.
- The value of the factor must be positive or you will get an error message in the result.
- The factor will not be equal to zero, will be 1 by default.
- If you use something non-numeric, your result will be an error
Is Google Sheet Floor Function like MROUND?
They are not the same in Google Sheets. If their syntax is the same then work is different. Floor Function rounds down a number closest integer multiple of a factor value. On the other hand, the MROUND Function rounds up the product of the integers closest to the value of a factor.
What is the Floor Function used for in Google Sheet?
When you need to round down a large number in your Google Sheet, you can solve it using the floor function.
Why does Floor Function give an error message?
You already read my articles and hopefully, better understand.
I think this function will be easier for you to practice using the FLOOR function in your own spreadsheet.
If you have a problem understanding something about this article, you can comment in the comment section below, I will answer your question and I will try appropriately.
More Google Sheets Tutorial Articles: